If you have spider veins, you may already be familiar with the feelings caused by their unsightliness. They can affect your self-esteem, simply because they’re not particularly attractive, and over time, they can eat away at your self-confidence and willingness to wear shorts and swimsuits.
Fortunately, there’s a minimally invasive, non-surgical procedure available at OBI BioAesthetic Institute that attacks and eliminates most spider veins. It’s called sclerotherapy.
What is Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy involves the injection of a solution, typically a salt (saline) solution directly into the veins. The solution is designed to irritate or even scar the lining of the veins. The body then re-routes the blood through veins that are healthier. Over time, the treated vein collapses on itself and begins to deteriorate. Eventually, the surrounding tissue reabsorbs the veins, and they fade away.
What You Need to Know About Sclerotherapy
- What are the side effects? Side effects of sclerotherapy are usually minor and can include bruising, swelling, stinging and red, raised areas around the injection sites.
- Are the results permanent? The results of the veins that are treated are indeed permanent. However, the treatment cannot prevent the formation of new spider veins, which may form later on down the road.
- Does sclerotherapy hurt? There may be some discomfort with any injection that pierces through the skin, so the procedure is not completely painless. Also, some of the solutions used can cause more pain than others, so you may want to have a discussion with your doctor about pain expectations prior to the treatment.
- How long does it take to see results? Usually, spider veins disappear within three to six weeks, while larger veins can take three to four months. You may need only one or two sessions, but depending on how many veins are treated and how severe the problem is, you could require up to four sessions. Total healing is usually complete within about eight weeks.
- Is sclerotherapy safe for pregnant women? Be sure to let your doctor know prior to the treatment if you’re pregnant or think you may be pregnant. In some situations, treatment may not be advisable during the first trimester of pregnancy or after week 36.
- Am I a good candidate for sclerotherapy? You may be an ideal candidate for spider vein treatment if you’re embarrassed by the appearance of the veins branching out on your legs, especially if it is to the point where you’ve stopped wearing shorts or bathing suits. If you have veins on your face that make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance, and you try to hide them with makeup, sclerotherapy could be a life-changing solution for you.
- Is there any downtime after a spider vein treatment? There is no downtime required after sclerotherapy, and most patients are able to resume normal activities immediately following the procedure. You’ll need to protect the treated area from sun exposure. For best results, and speedier recovery, follow the instructions as they’re given by your medical professional.
To learn more or schedule a sclerotherapy appointment contact the professionals at OBI BioAesthetic Institute today. We look forward to helping you feel (and look) your very best. We proudly serve the communities of Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Ponte Vedra Beach, Neptune Beach, as well as the surrounding areas of Florida.
*Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary from person to person. The information in this blog post is informational only and not intended to be medical advice.
The team at OBI BioAesthetic Institute invites you to bridge the best you, from the inside – out. Call today 904-273-5454 to schedule your personalized Aesthetic Medicine consultation with Gerrie M. Obi, MSN, APRN, AGPCNP-BC, CPSN.