Who has not heard, “I’ve gained weight,” from friends, family, or worse, yourself?
As a medical provider, I have the good fortune of partnering with my patients in their care. When I formulate a plan of care for my patients, it is based on their needs as a whole, rather just addressing a symptom or disorder only. As a result, it is not uncommon for me to refer a patient to a provider, or providers, that I trust to collaborate with me in their care. Routinely I will refer patients with weight concerns to Dietitians of Palm Valley. Sammy Previte and Mindy Black are absolutely delightful and equally committed to superior patient outcomes.
I have noted over the past seven years a few extra unwanted pounds when I step on the scale. My visceral thought is, “that’s not possible!” Let me list why:
- My thyroid, adrenal, and sex hormones are normal; blood glucose, hemoglobin A1C and fasting insulin normally.
- I get nine hours of practically uninterrupted sleep nightly.
- 93 percent of the time I consume foods and beverages that are not disruptive to healthy gut flora and are anti-inflammatory. Additionally, I avoid foods that result in insulin spikes, all while ensuring I intake adequate water and fiber daily. However, I must be accountable and disclose my two glasses of red wine on Friday and Saturday nights.
- I implement measures daily to promote repair of my gut and repopulate with good flora to minimize increased intestinal permeability (better known as leaky gut), plus facilitate optimal detoxification.
- I take medical-grade supplements (Xymogen to be exact) to replenish any micronutrient deficiencies for peak cell function and decrease inflammation.
- I exercise regularly including HIIT two to three times a week (OTF for my Orange friends) for an hour, rollerblade once a week for 45 minutes and use my BowFlex Max Trainer two times a week for 28 minutes.
- I sit on a stability ball while at work.
- I meditate for 10 minutes daily to help manage stress, plus use an infrared sauna 3 to 4 times a week to foster relaxation (note: please consult your provider before using an infrared sauna).
Maybe the aforementioned is more information than you may want to know. Be that as it may, the reality is the aforementioned can be factors that influence weight and the inability to effectively lose weight. One thing I am not is a dietitian, so I enlisted Dietitians of Palm Valley to assess my dietary intake and activity to identify a possible culprit in my food and beverage selections.
After meeting with Sammy, I learned I was consuming an inadequate balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. She also informed me the calories burned while working out are being significantly diminished by wine consumption. She formulated recommendations that fit my schedule, lifestyle and food restrictions. At the end of my consult, I felt empowered, not overwhelmed.
If this blog resonates with you, I invite you to schedule a consult with OBI BioAesthetic Institute. At OBI BioAesthetic Institute, we are honored to partner with our patients in their care, to help bridge the best inside with the outside. We recognize the value of collaborative effort, hence our readiness to enlist the partnership of another specialist when necessary, like Dietitians of Palm Valley. Call OBI BioAesthetic Institute 904-273-5454 to schedule your weight management consultation to learn more about how we can help you with your health goals.
The team at OBI BioAesthetic Institute invites you to bridge the best you, from the inside – out. Call today 904-273-5454 to schedule your personalized Aesthetic Medicine consultation with Gerrie M. Obi, MSN, APRN, AGPCNP-BC, CPSN.